- Sam Elias has an excellent post on his blog reflecting on what he’s been up to the past several months. Recently he’s been in Rifle where he’s done several 5.14s including the FA of Rorschach Test (5.14b) and Class Act (5.14a).
- In other Rifle news, Joe Kinder did the 3rd ascent of Steve Hong’s Planet X (5.14b).
- According to her scorecard Alizée Dufraisse repeated Scarface (5.14a) at Smith Rocks, OR.
- The season at Mt. Evans’ Lincoln Lake is now officially over. The pair of Hukkataival and Cardwell seized the prime late season conditions to repeat a slew of V12-13 problems, suggesting downgrades for a couple of them. Read the full rundown on their respective scorecards linked above.
- Back in August Magnus Midtbø repeated Ali Hulk Extension SDS (5.15b). Here’s some video of his ascent:
- According to his scorecard Vasya Vorotnikov did the FA of an old project at the New River Gorge calling it The Prow and suggesting a grade of 5.14a.
- 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell went down the other weekend at Arkansas’ Horseshoe Canyon Ranch with some guy named Alex Honnold “winning” after climbing an absurd 5,830 feet of 5.8 to 5.13 during the 24 hours of hell. Major props to anyone who could climb for the full 24 hours though. I’m pretty sure I would permanently lose the use of at least 4 fingers if I tried to do it myself. A couple of reports from people who did pull it off can be read here and here.
- Don’t try this at home:
- Turns out speed climbing is dangerous
- Alli Rainey’s excellent blog about weight loss as it related to climbing and female athletes in general
- Phil Schaal bouldering in Australia
- Carline Treadway interviewed Jamie Emerson for the most recent issue of Urban Climber and posted the extended interview here.
- New guidebook to Southern Nevada Bouldering
- The Black Diamond QC Lab has another warning worth heeding, this time about the dangers of climbing on fixed draws. The BD post came about after a climber decked at the Red River Gorge when their rope was completely cut when they fell on the first draw of a route.
- Deadpoint Magazine has a nice interview with the other Alex Johnson
- Look who landed the cover of Outside: