The American sport climbing scene has shifted to Europe with Dave Graham, Joe Kinder, Daniel Woods, Jon Cardwell, Isaac Caldiero, Alex Honnold and others all holding it down in France at the moment. Here are a few bits of news from their travels as well as the exploits of others back here in the States:
- Dave Graham is back in action after an unfortunate ankle injury sustained forerunning at the Vail World Cup. In an uncomfortably hot Céüse, France he has done La Part du Diable (3rd ascent of a new 5.14c) as well as a 2nd go send (7 years after the first attempt) of Radot Jolie Pepere (5.13d)
- Also in France is Daniel Woods. Climbing at both Céüse and Gorges du Loup he has done 4 5.14b’s and flashed a 5.14a despite the hot conditions.
- Earlier this month, Brad Weaver made a 4th try, no kneepads ascent of Andy Raether’s Kuru (5.14c) at Rifle, CO
- In increasingly old Rifle news, Sam Elias and Jon Cardwell repeated Dave Graham’s Girl Talk (5.14c) back in May
- Carlo Traversi did the 3rd ascent of Ty Landman’s Top Notch (V13) in RMNP. Look for footage of the send (and several other RMNP classics) in an upcoming movie from LT11
- In Rocklands, SA, comp star Kilian Fischhuber climbed a well known project that had been dubbed the “Air Star” project.
- The Flashed website has a new section dedicated to their team of athletes that includes a nice blog.
- I Am Climb has launched as a new online climbing magazine
- 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell is coming up on September 26th, and word on the street is that one of the world’s best 24 hour climbers will be in attendance: none other than Tommy Caldwell. Will there even be enough climbing for him to stay busy for 24 hours?
- Jamie Emerson has put together a cool list of Colorado’s hardest boulders (V13 & up) as well as a list of all the V12s in the State.
- Friends of Muir Valley is holding their 6th annual Trail Day at Muir Valley on Saturday, September 26th.
- Jonathan Siegrist has been working on opening a new sport climbing area near Estes Park, CO dubbed Wizard’s Gate
- The Youth World Championships are taking place this weekend in Valence, FR. You can see first round results here, and watch live video at this link.
- Interview with SuperTopo founder Chris McNamara
- Interview with Patxi Usobiaga in which he very interestingly says that he reads, “about comps in the US way more” than comps in Euorpe.
- Speaking of European comps, take this poll: