- Nalle Hukkataival has added a new V15 called Livin Large at Rocklands, South Africa. It took Hukkataival 12 days of work to open the amazing looking 25 ft. tall arete. Read more at the Lenslam blog.
- Keita Mogaki has flashed his second V13, Klem Loskot’s Black Shadow at Rocklands, South Africa. Read an interview he did with Stikkit here.
- Congratulations to Gabor Szekely and Sasha DiGiulian for sending their hardest routes on a recent low gravity day in Rodellar, Spain. Szekely sent Los Inconformistas (5.14d) and Sasha DiGiulian sent Botanics (5.13d/.14a). Los Inconformistas was also sent in recent days by Magnus Midtbø and Felipe Camargo.
- Matt Wilder did the 3rd ascent of Sonnie Trotter’s traditional route The Path (5.14 R) at Lake Louise in Canada.
- SuperTopo recently released two new guidebooks, one for the bouldering in Tuolumne and the other for free climbing in Zion. I haven’t had a chance to review them yet, but if you order a pdf version of either book by August 9th you receive a print version for FREE (no shipping or sales tax either). I used this deal last year in buying a couple of books and I think it works out great to have both a printed copy and an online version of a guidebook so don’t delay.
- Photos and thoughts from several people at the recent memorial in Mammoth Lakes for John Bachar.
- Ryan Olson has a nicely redesigned website.
- Story about Alex Honnold in a local CA paper.
- Alex Johnson blogs about the deplorable conditions athletes faced at the recent World Championships in China.
- A nice interview with Rock & Ice editor Jeff Jackson.
- A few more links to wrap up Outdoor Retailer Summer Market ’09: Sicky Gnar Gnar, Splitter Choss, DPM, UCMag
- Is the advancement of climbing in terms of “technology, practice, arena or destination” over?
- Big Up Productions is experimenting with HD downloads of their films
- The new Moosejaw catalog is a bit puzzling.
- Moutaineering legend Riccardo Cassin has passed away at age 100
Footage of Peter Würth on the first full link of Parts 1, 2 and 3 of The Neverending Story in Magic Wood. The first 2 parts are a well known V14 first done by Chris Sharma.
Women’s highlights from the 2009 Mammut Bouldering Championships
Men’s highlights from the 2009 Mammut Bouldering Championships