The winter season is in full effect in Hueco Tanks, TX with several interesting sends going down in recent weeks:
- The southeast crew of Brad Weaver, Brion Voges and Jimmy Webb were in Hueco at various times in December. Weaver, on his first trip to Hueco, managed flashes of Chablanke (V11), Diaphanous Sea (V11), Power Of Landjager (V11) and Tequila Sunrise which was once considered V13 but now may be V11 or V12. Webb and Voges did not leave empty-handed either as Webb sent Full Throttle (V13), Flamignon (V13) and Coeur de Leon (V13) and Voges was able to send Slashface (V13) before injuring a finger. Here’s are a few videos from their trips:
- The 2nd video above features Daniel Woods running a lap on Terre de Sienne, a Fred Nicole problem on North Mountain that was long registered as V14 by repeaters who maintain 8a scorecards. That has changed though as both Daniel Woods and Paul Robinson adjusted their respective scorecards at some point to change the grade of this problem to V13 with Robinson commenting “def not 8b+ (V14)”.
- On a related note, Canadian Simon Parton just pulled off a really impressive 2nd try ascent of Terre de Sienne according to 8a.nu.
- Speaking of Daniel Woods, he’s been busy adding V13s to East Mountain according to his 8a scorecard with the first ascents of Yellow Diamonds near the Dragon’s Den and Carol of the Bones near Slashface. DPM has a few photos of the latter problem here.
- Brian Antheunisse had an excellent week recently in which he sent 4 V13s: Full Throttle, Coeur de Leon, Diabolique and Nagual.
- Sam Davis was on hand to capture a few photos of Phil Schaal sending Slashface (V13) and Antheunisse’s aforementioned send of Full Throttle.
- And in news that is interesting because of the age of the climbers, 36 year-old Jan De Smit sent Diabolique (V13) and 14 year-old Liam Vance sent El Techo De Los Tres Bs (V11) and Diaphanous Sea (V11/12).