- Nalle Hukkataival has been keeping busy out in Bishop. Checking in on his 8a scorecard we can learn that he did a ground up ascent of Evilution (V12) with “no chalk on the holds, no tick marks, bad beta” which forced him to have to “try hard”. He also did the FA of a direct finish to The Swarm which, at V13, he felt was the same difficulty as the original Swarm.
- Guillaume Glairon-Mondet finished his trip to America in fine form with the 2nd ascent of Sean Diamond’s Direct North (V14) at the Buttermilks and the likely 4th ascent of Chris Sharma’s uniquely formed Iron Resolution (V13) in Joshua Tree. A few photos of the latter ascent can be seen here.
- According to his 8a scorecard Bryan O’Keefe repeated Hold Your Fire (5.14b) at Nevada’s Mt. Potosi.
- Don’t look now, but Alex Honnold has quietly risen to the top of 8a.nu’s rankings for American sport climbers on the strength of 24 5.14a’s or harder in the past 12 months including 3 this month in Kalymnos.
- Daniel Woods’ The Game (V16) in Boulder Canyon saw its first repeat the other week…by Daniel Woods
- One of the better interviews I’ve ever seen with the legendary John Gill (Thanks to Upstate SC Bouldering for the link)
- Adam Roy interviews Chris Sharma for Matador Network
- DPM has a nice interview with Ryan Palo about his past year of climbing that culminated with an ascent of To Bolt Or Not To Be (5.14a) in Smith Rock, OR.
- Alex Savage is hard at work on his first climbing film, Western Gold, and he took the time to post a few screen shots like the one below on his website
Frame from Western Gold of Tom Moulin on the highball Ariana (V6) in Red Rocks, NV
- Jonathan Thesenga and Brittany Griffith report on their expedition to Algeria
- Pumpfactory Road has the transcript of an interview Jon Cardwell, Jamie Emerson and Chad Greedy did with ClimbTalk Radio last year in which they discuss the season that was in Colorado’s Lincoln Lake
- Black Diamond came out with another one of their excellent athlete profiles yesterday, this one features none other than Fred Nicole.
- Speaking of Black Diamond, they recently announced that they did about $125mm in sales for 2010 with sales in 2011 expected to be in the $135mm-$140mm range. They also revealed their intention to move into the apparel space within the next couple of years:
The Company [Black Diamond] also disclosed that it is targeting the fall of 2013 as a possible launch time for an outdoor technical apparel brand, expressing the view that both apparel and footwear represent significant long term opportunities to extend the Black Diamond brand. The Company believes that these categories can have a material impact on the Companys growth over the next decade and beyond.
[BD CEO] Mr. Metcalf commented, The next few years hold an extraordinary opportunity for our brand and the next logical step is apparel. We believe the market demand for Black Diamond apparel is substantial and, if executed well, that this category can become equal to or larger than the balance of our business within 5 years of launch.
- Climberism Magazine interviews Phil Schaal
- This ad from Organic, Pusher and Revolution that ran in the most recent Deadpoint Magazine has a lot of people talking..